At Goodman Orthodontics, we make it our goal to provide our patients with the best in Manhattan and Riverdale orthodontics. As your Manhattan and Riverdale orthodontist, Dr. Adam Goodman is capable of delivering high-quality orthodontic care for patients of all ages. It doesn’t matter how old you are; if you’ve ever had a tendency to hide your smile from others or if you’ve felt that your smile was suboptimal in any way, we encourage you to stop by one of our offices for a New York orthodontic treatment that’s sure to leave you with a smile that you can be completely proud of!
It’s Not Just Meant for Kids Anymore!
You might think that orthodontic treatment is just meant for kids and teenagers, but that’s not true at all. In fact, over one-in-four orthodontic patients are actually adults now. More and more adults have been deciding that there’s no reason why they shouldn’t receive all of the benefits that come with these orthodontic treatments. A common excuse why many adults had previously ignored orthodontic treatment was because they were nervous about being seen in public with braces. For plenty of adults, they simply wanted to keep up their professional image and they didn’t want to risk their appearance with potentially unattractive metal braces.
Thankfully, modern orthodontic technology has stepped in and fixed this problem! While metal braces are still the most common form of orthodontics, there are now plenty of other options that allow an adult to have a discreet New York orthodontic treatment without having to worry about aesthetically-unpleasing braces. These include:
- Clear Braces – These braces work the exact same as metal braces, only that the metal brackets are made of a clear, ceramic material that blends into the color of the tooth, making them harder to see.
- Lingual Braces – Instead of being placed on the fronts of a patient’s teeth, these braces are placed on the back of them so they can’t be seen by others.
- Clear Aligners – Also known as Invisalign, this treatment utilizes clear, removable aligners to straighten a patient’s smile instead of the wires and brackets used by other orthodontic treatments.
The Actual Differences in Adult Treatment
Having said that, there are still a few key differences between adult treatment and adolescent treatment:
- The first is that an adult isn’t still growing. Growing (especially growth spurts) is incredibly useful in correcting many types of malocclusions (bad bites). Orthodontic treatment will adapt to this growth period and help correct these bite problems in an efficient manner.
- An adult’s teeth, gums, and mouth will be more worn down, which can limit the orthodontic options or even prevent orthodontic treatment from starting in the first place. If a person has periodontitis (advanced gum disease), the treatment can’t be performed because the gum disease will put the patient’s long-term dental health in jeopardy if the teeth are moved.
- Finally, adults have a slower metabolism and won’t heal as fast as younger patients. This means that tooth movement in adults will take longer, lengthening the entire treatment process.
Visit Your Manhattan and Riverdale Orthodontist!
If you’re interested in our adult orthodontics in Manhattan and Riverdale, please feel free to schedule an appointment with us by giving us a call at one of our two convenient locations. Our Manhattan office phone number is (212) 688-4663 and our Riverdale office phone number is (718) 543-4300. Alternatively, you can schedule a visit by clicking the ‘Request an Appointment’ icon at the top right of the page. We’re looking forward to seeing you and providing you with the best in New York orthodontics!