Check out these tips to keep your orthodontic work strong and your teeth healthy while maintaining your active life.
Think Before You Eat
What you put in your mouth when you are wearing braces or Invisalign matters. Before you crunch down on the usual snacks you consumed before you had them, ask yourself two questions: 1. Will it harm my braces? 2. Will it harm my teeth?
One wrong bite can lead to a tremendous setback for your long-term orthodontic goals, so be mindful of what you consume.
Will It Harm My Braces?
Keeping your braces in good condition is key to achieving the results you are hoping for when it’s time to remove them. For this reason, it’s very important to protect them from damage by avoiding foods that could harm you brackets and wires. These include:
- Hard foods: raw vegetables, nuts
- Crunchy foods: chips, popcorn
- Excessively chewy foods: pizza crusts, beef jerky
Consider bringing your own snacks that are braces-friendly to work, school, or activities to ensure that you have options that won’t harm your appliances in a pinch.
Will It Harm My Teeth?
Even if food isn’t hard, crunchy, or chewy, it still might not be the best option to eat with braces or Invisalign. You should also stay away from foods that are high in sugar or very sticky. While these options may not pose an obvious threat to your orthodontic appliances, they put you at risk for developing cavities and gum disease since are hard to clean from behind brackets and the crevices of your teeth. These include:
- Sugary foods: cookies, soda, dried fruit
- Sticky foods: caramel, candy (like gummies)
Small Steps Make A Big Difference
Making sure that your teeth stay healthy while wearing braces or Invisalign can seem like a daunting task, especially when living an active life, but creating good habits early on can make a big difference in getting the smile you’re hoping for sooner than later. The secret is in caring for your orthodontic work properly.
Caring For Traditional Braces
Besides avoiding foods that could harm your metal braces, you must care for them in other ways as well.
- Choose food options that are soft and easy to chew.
- Drink water after consuming sweets to remove excess sugar from your teeth.
- Cut food into bite-sized pieces and place in the back of your mouth while eating.
- Avoid chewing ice, pencils, or fingernails while wearing braces.
Caring For Invisalign
Because Invisalign clear aligners are removable, they can also be deceiving. While more convenient than traditional braces in some ways, they still must be cared for properly, especially when on the go.
- Always wear them for the recommended amount of time, only removing them to eat and clean.
- Remove them to eat and drink everything besides room temperature water.
- Clean trays with a soft toothbrush and toothpaste daily.
Clean Thoroughly & Consistently
The key to a beautiful smile during and after braces is keeping them clean.
- Brush and floss carefully twice a day.
- Follow up with your dentist every 6 months for check-ups and professional cleanings.
Get In Touch With Goodman Orthodontics!
When it comes to attaining the smile of your dreams in the midst of a busy schedule, the trusted professionals at Goodman Orthodontics are here to help you every step of the way. To learn more about caring for your braces or Invisalign on the go or to schedule an appointment, contact us online or at (212)-688-4663. Serving Manhattan, New York, Riverdale, and Bronx areas, we strive to exceed your orthodontic expectations and look forward to providing you the best in orthodontics!